Wednesday 21 August 2013

OLD SCHOOL


Today post will be about Underwater Mermaid Theater How I found it - I don't know. Well I kind of know, it is getting warmer here, spring is coming in September and I was in mood to start planning our summer holiday (as you do)and somehow I found it. I was always a little bit "old school" don't know why, not that I don't like modern staff but I get more exited with vintage aspect of the world. I have never been to states but more and more feel like going there. We made some provisional plans with our friends to visit America but it will be in couple of years first. So I don't know how I ended up looking into Florida while planning next Oz holiday. Going back to my new discovery it is located in Weeki Wachee, Florida. The idea was first born in Newton Perry mind around 1946. He was an ex nave officer who trained navy seals to swim underwater in WWII. Firstly the theatre had only 18 seats and the whole routine was without music and tails. The theatre was sold in 1959 to The American Broadcasting Company Co having its best times. Since 2008 it was made into Florida State Park. I don't want to write to much about the history as the most important is the show itself. I would like to finish with official Weeki Wachee mermaid anthem: "We're not like other women We don't have to clean an oven And we nev-er will grow olllllllllld.... We've got the world by the tail!"
pics from Annie Collinge web

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! This is incredible. Florida has been on the top of my US travel list for ages now. You have to go!

    ReplyDelete